Thames Hospice first opened in 1987 and is now no longer able to keep up with the increasing number of people who need our care and services. As well as seeing more patients, we are also dealing with more complex and challenging medical conditions. Our much-loved existing building isn’t designed to allow twenty-first-century care. There have been expansions and additions over the years and it no longer meets the current demand for our services, let alone future demands.
Seventeen beds just aren’t enough to support all those in our community who need hospice care. Every week we are forced to turn people away because we are full. The current situation will only get worse as our local population ages over the next 20 years.
Put simply, the care we provide is outstanding – but the building is holding us back. We need a new, purpose-built hospice that will serve the needs of the community now and into the future.
Our plans were approved by the Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead Council in July 2017, and eight acres of land next to Bray Lake in Maidenhead were purchased in June 2018. At the end of 2018 we appointed building contractors Andrew Scott and we will start building from January 2019.
The new hospice will include:
- 28 private Inpatient rooms with en-suites and space for family to stay overnight
- A dedicated family room where families can be together whilst still providing privacy for patients
- A new Day Therapy Centre (the Paul Bevan Centre) will enable us to double our day service provision
- A brand new Education Centre so we can support healthcare professionals and our community partners
- A gym (the Louis Baylis Gym) for patient rehabilitation
- The Sanctuary is a special place for many people. Our new, larger Sanctuary will continue to offer a place for quiet reflection. It will also be a space for special occasions such as patient weddings and birthday parties
- Open reception area and café
- Eight acres of beautiful wheelchair friendly gardens
- Free parking for visitors
We are confident our new hospice and expanded community services will be able to support all those who need us when we open in 2020.
If you would like to know more about the build, designs and plans please call us on 01753 842121 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.